Majority of Autotrader Visitors Hitting the Road this Holiday Season
Autotrader experts offer tips and recommendations for holiday travelers.
ATLANTA, Nov. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Thanksgiving is known as the busiest travel time of the year, and that was further confirmed in a recent poll that showed 88 percent of Autotrader site visitors plan to hit the road this holiday season. Additionally, the poll showed that nearly a quarter -- 24 percent -- will travel more than 300 miles in their cars. To keep these holiday road warriors comfortable and content on their drives, Autotrader editors offer some of their top holiday travel tips:
- Prepare your vehicle. Do a quick check on the essentials before you head out. Check the wear and pressure on your tires, and be sure your fluids (oil, coolant and wiper fluid) are topped off.
- Make it an adventure. Just because you have an ultimate destination doesn't mean you can't enjoy fun stuff in between. Check your route for family-friendly stops along the way such as a zoo, park or even toy store to give kids something to look forward to while breaking the trip into manageable pieces.
- Keep the little ones engaged. Technology features like built-in screens and DVD players can be saviors on the road, but if your car doesn't come equipped with these, consider bringing along a handheld device on which little ones can play games or watch videos. And if technology isn't your thing, remember that magnetized board games and word games can work just as well.
- Bring snacks. Greasy food isn't the best for staying alert -- or feeling good -- while road tripping. Instead of relying on fast-food, bring along lots of smaller, healthier snacks to keep kids (and adults) content. Fruits and vegetables that are easy to eat and easy on the mess, like carrot sticks, bananas and apples, are great options.
- Have patience! Between road congestion, frequent stops and the sometimes-bad weather that plagues many areas this time of year, holiday travel time can take longer than anticipated. Allow—and plan for—extra travel time, and you'll have a better chance of arriving safely and stress-free.
"Holiday travel doesn't just have to be about getting to where you're going," said Tara Trompeter, managing editor at Autotrader. "Family time in the car can be a great opportunity for making memories -- or a recipe for grunts and grumbles. A little bit of planning ahead before you get on the road will go a long way toward filling the experience with more fun and laughter for everyone involved."
For those families that venture out on road trips frequently throughout the year, the experts at Autotrader also rounded up a list of 10 Fuel-Efficient Family Cars for a Long Holiday Road Trip. The list includes family cars that boast affordable pricing, roomy interiors and a fuel-efficient 30 miles per gallon on the highway. Among their picks are the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Honda CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Optima, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Outback and the Toyota Camry. Head over to Autotrader for more information on the model selections.
About the Autotrader Quick Poll
Between October 23rd and November 2nd, 1252 Autotrader site visitors completed a Quick Poll survey displayed on the Autotrader home page regarding their holiday travel plans.
Created in 1997, Atlanta-based Autotrader is the Internet's ultimate automotive marketplace. As a leading resource for car shoppers and sellers, Autotrader aggregates millions of new, used and certified pre-owned cars from thousands of dealers and private sellers and provides expert articles and reviews. Autotrader, which also operates the AutoTraderClassics.com auto marketing brand, is wholly owned by Cox Automotive. Additionally, Cox Automotive owns Dealertrack®, (Dealertrack.com), Kelley Blue Book (KBB.com®) and Manheim Auctions as well as companies that provide a full suite of software tools that help dealers and manufacturers manage their inventory and advertising online: AIS Rebates™, Genius Labs®, Haystak™, HomeNet Automotive®, NextGear Capital®, vAuto® and VinSolutions®. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. For more information, please visit http://press.Autotrader.com.
For further information: Julie Shipp, Public Relations Manager, 404-568-7914, Julie.Shipp@autotrader.com
SHARE THIS NEWS