Manheim Research Indicates Used Car Market Remains Solid
Used Vehicle Values in Q2 Remain in Line with Expectations
ATLANTA, July 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- With wholesale used vehicle prices inching up in June after a consecutive four month decline, the used car market remains solid and in line with expectations. This brought the Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index – a measure of wholesale prices adjusted for mix, mileage and season – to a reading of 123.9 in June, representing a virtually unchanged 0.1 percent decline from a year ago.
"With no surprises and pricing that is in line with analyst expectations, it's been business as usual for the used vehicle market in the second quarter," said Tom Webb, Chief Economist for Cox Automotive. "With pricing nearly identical to last year at this time, consumers continue to see the value in purchasing used vehicles, which remain a profitable part of a dealer's business."
With stable job growth and attractive financing continuing for the retail market for new and used vehicles, the strongest pricing tiers were everything above $15,000. Continuing the trend of weakness, vehicles in the $9,000-$11,000 range also showed a significant increase in volume of vehicles offered.
Second quarter wholesale pricing for vehicle segments included:
- Compact Car prices were down 7.2 percent in June relative to a year ago, and once again continued to be the weakest segment.
- Midsize Cars remains one of the weaker segments and was also down relative to last year, but saw a much more modest decrease of 0.8 percent.
- Luxury Car values fell 0.4 percent over the past year. Despite a good June, this class continued to underperform the overall market, and within that segment, entry luxury cars remain under the greatest price pressure.
- Pickups and Vans once again won the top spot for the strongest vehicle segment with pickups up 6.7 percent and vans up 2.7 percent on a year-over-year basis. Within the van segment, full-size commercial passenger units and cargo vans were especially strong thanks in part to limited inventory.
- SUV and CUV remained virtually identical to the same period a year ago, with a slight decrease of 0.3 percent.
It is expected the new car dealership groups will show strong vehicle operations when they report their second quarter results. Illustrating the industry's strength, CPO sales continued their record pace, with sales up 17.6 percent in June and 12.5 percent for the first half of 2015.
"The pricing strength is a testament to solid retail markets, good remarketing practices and greater operating efficiencies," said Webb. "While current wholesale pricing is now in line with historic normalcies and market fundamentals, a further acceleration of wholesale inventory combined with seasonal headwinds will likely mean we'll see price declines."
Visit Manheim's website to access to a variety of company publications, including recent Auto Industry Briefs, white papers and blog entries by Tom Webb.
About Manheim (www.manheim.com)
Manheim is the leading global provider of vehicle remarketing services, connecting buyers and sellers of used vehicles to the largest wholesale used-vehicle marketplace. The company helps dealer and commercial customers achieve results by providing physical and digital auction channels, data analysis, financing, transportation and mobile products and solutions.
Manheim pioneered in-lane vehicle auctions and has been an innovator in both digital and mobile auction platforms. Manheim registers nearly 7 million used vehicles annually, facilitating transactions representing nearly $46 billion in value. Manheim's research and consulting arm, Manheim Consulting, provides industry-leading market intelligence and publishes the widely recognized annual Used Car Market Report. The company offers dealer financing through NextGear Capital, Inc. and transportation services through Ready Auto Transport.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Manheim has more than 20,000 employees in 122 worldwide sites and generates annual revenues of more than $2.5 billion. A subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, Manheim participates in "Go Green with Manheim," the company's sustainability program.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150123/170950LOGO
For further information: Yancey Casey, Manager, Public Relations, 678.645.8574, email@example.com
SHARE THIS NEWS