The story of Cox Enterprises is one of hard work, respect for employees, entrepreneurship and making bold decisions. It’s also about staying true to values that have endured for more than a century. Cox Enterprises was founded in 1898 by James M. Cox. At the age of 28, he purchased the Dayton Evening News (now the Dayton Daily News). He later served as Ohio’s governor and was the 1920 Democratic nominee for president with Franklin D. Roosevelt as his vice presidential running mate. After Governor Cox lost the election, he decided to focus on expanding his business across industries and locations.
Today, Cox Enterprises is a global company with 50,000 employees and $23 billion in revenue. Cox remains a values-driven private corporation that can invest in long-term growth and is proud of its four-generation family leadership. Through our major divisions—Cox Communications and Cox Automotive —we lead in the communications and automotive industries. Our widely recognized national brands include Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book and Cox Homelife.
Living Our Values
As our company grows, we continue to foster a culture that puts people first and upholds fundamental values such as honesty, integrity and accountability. Our values and Code of Conduct ensure that our commitment to operating with the highest ethical standards will never change.
These are the values that guide us in every decision we make:
Our employees & commitment to diversity
- Our employees are our most important resource. We invite and encourage entrepreneurship and initiative. We recognize and reward achievement.
- We are committed to having a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We embrace and foster an environment that builds on the unique talents that come from people with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
New technology & business opportunities
- We embrace new technology to give our customers the variety and quality of services they demand.
- We invest in new business opportunities, balancing initiative and risk, to enhance our growth.
- Our customers are our lifeblood. We build strong relationships with customers to meet and exceed their needs with high-quality products and services.
A better community & a better world
- We believe it’s good business to be good citizens of the communities we serve through volunteerism and financial support.
- We are committed to helping shape a better world through both responsible company and individual actions.