Techstars Social Impact Announces 2021 Class
Cox Enterprises has announced the 2021 class of the Cox Enterprises Social Impact Accelerator powered by Techstars. Now in its second year, the program has shifted focus to support companies addressing social justice and systemic racism issues. The three-month program will provide virtual mentoring, funding and global connections to 10 for-profit, mission-driven companies.
Strategic mentorships with Cox business leaders and experts will help bring the entrepreneurs' ideas to market, boost their early-stage businesses, grow their networks and prepare them to pitch their company’s ideas to potential investors at a Demo Day presentation on April 29, 2021.
“This class gives me confidence that we can and will make this country a more equitable and inclusive place to live,” said Barry Givens, managing director of Techstars Social Impact. “We hope this class will be a shining example of the opportunities that exist to impact social justice and will highlight the importance of supporting diverse founders who are tackling these issues.”
The 2021 Social Impact Accelerator class includes:
- Acclinate: Educates and engages diverse individuals to make informed decisions about genomic research and clinical trial participation.
- Co:census: Enhances equity in social surveys intended to assess community needs for people of color and/or with limited English proficiency.
- COMMUNITYx: Enables users to create and scale cause-driven communities that are ready to mobilize, from anywhere in the world.
- Empowrd: Personalizes and guides civic engagement experiences that inspire, inform and enable civic participation.
- Govrn: Makes politics simple, transparent and effective for people who want democracy to be more trustworthy.
- JusticeText: Strengthens the ability of public defenders to analyze critical video and audio data by enabling users to upload body camera footage, interrogation videos, courtroom proceedings and jail calls.
- Legal Equalizer: Connects people with five eyewitnesses, shares legal information and alerts loved ones in real-time during law enforcement encounters.
- Minwo: Connects venture capital firms and incubators with minority and women-owned businesses to accelerate their growth and close the wealth gap.
- STRE.ME: Creates unique educational experiences for individuals to learn how to manage their biases in a safe, convenient and confidential manner.
- Unpacking: Builds culturally competent teams through an online learning platform that navigates historical context, real world scenarios and interactive gaming.
“We believe this is the right time for Cox to be a force for good and further our commitment to equity,” said Maury Wolfe, assistant vice president of corporate responsibility and public affairs at Cox Enterprises. “Finding new, innovative solutions to solve one of this country’s biggest issues is at the forefront for this class. At Cox, we are passionate about creating lasting change for generations to come, and we hope these ideas will help get us there.”
The Social Impact Accelerator is the second accelerator in partnership between Techstars and Cox Enterprises. Cox also funds and supports startups and entrepreneurs through other Atlanta-based partnerships, including Techstars Atlanta, Engage, Endeavor and Startup Runway.
For more information about Cox Enterprises' involvement in the venture ecosystem, visit www.coxenterprises.com/innovation.
SHARE THIS NEWS